An hour or two each day to make up one day per week, with occasional additional days to attend events
We ask that there is a commitment of six months (with a one month trial period)
Main purpose of the role
The role of Marketing and Social Media volunteer will be to assist the staff in promoting the Foundry's mentoring programs and its various events as well as helping to further establish the brand in the community.
Position in the Foundry
Reports to: Executive Director
Main relationships: The role is very much about communicating externally and building relationships with business and potential clientele. The Marketing and Social Media volunteer will be working alongside staff members throughout the organization including the Marketing Coordinator, Business Relationship Manager and Volunteer Coordinator.
The role would suit a new graduate from a marketing course or a more experienced marketer who is looking to gain experience in a new field.
This role would suit someone who:
- Has some experience of marketing and social media, either through education, work or volunteering.
- Is familiar with using social media and other online tools to generate interest in a business or project.
- Is an excellent communicator.
- Is able to write clearly, accurately and succinctly.
- Can be flexible with their time: We envisage spending a short time each day (although not necessarily every day) updating social media channels. The volunteer will also be expected to attend some of our events with a view to reporting on them.
- Has an interest in youth mentoring and mental health.
- Is willing to 'jump in' with all aspects of the Foundry's activities.
- Has his or her own transport
1. Developing Foundry Mentoring’s social media presence with a particular focus on:
- Keeping our social media channels updated, ideally on a daily basis
- Encouraging others to comment on our posts and share them with others
- Increasing the numbers of people following our posts on our own website and on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Promoting our membership scheme
- Building the Foundry Mentoring brand
- Setting, working towards, and reporting on social media objectives and targets.
- Helping to write and send weekly email newsletters.
2. Undertaking one of the following projects:
- Copywriting: Planning and writing a blog each month for the Foundry's website. This could be based on the Foundry’s activities, a profile of a member of staff or a volunteer, or another aspect of the organization.
- Leaflet and poster distribution: Monitoring, coordinating and helping with the distribution of our promotional leaflets and posters by our staff, members and supporters and identifying new opportunities for leaflet distribution.
- Photography: Developing and updating the organizations's photographic database, identifying gaps; taking photographs and/or ensuring that someone is available to photograph all key events and ensuring that permissions for photography have been granted. This could also involve video work.
- PR: Writing a press release every two months (three in total) with a view to obtaining media coverage; responding to any resulting media interest, and working with Foundry staff to obtain the necessary information, photographs and interviews if required.
- Search Engine Optimization: Updating Foundry Mentoring's website content to make it more easily found by relevant internet users. Increasing inbound links to the website: Researching and updating online listings and negotiating reciprocal links with likeminded websites such as those relating to youth mentoring, mental health awareness and community centers.
- Another project: If you have a particular area of knowledge or an interest area you would like to pursue, you are welcome to propose a project for you to undertake.